Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pickle jar into Apothecary jar


I wanted to share a craft I recently made that was so easy and inexpensive. Kellie bought this cute apothecary jar (below) at a craft store and I knew I could make one just like it.

All you need for this project is:
Candlestick (used or brand new. I used one of each)
Pickle jar
Finial or knob for the top (I got mine at Hobby Lobby)
Spray Paint, if using a recycled candlestick
E6000 glue

For the first Apothecary Jar I used a gold candlestick I had purchased in a thrift store for $1. I spray painted it as well as the pickle jar lid and the finial all black. Then I used the E6000 glue to adhere to candlestick to the jar. For the lid I punched a hole using a screwdriver & hammer in the lid and screwed the knob on top of the jar.
 
The blue jar below was made from a candlestick I got at Hobby Lobby for 50% off. I wanted the lid to match the base so I spray painted the lid brown first, then after it dried completley I applied a small amount of vaseline to the areas I wanted to show the brown. After that I painted the lid blue and after it dried I rubbed off the paint where the vaseline had been applied and the brown comes through. The lid's paint job crackled a little bit because of the multiple paintings but I liked it and thought it looked a lot like the base. 
After that punch a hole in the lid and screw the knob through the lid. That's it! 
 
Now if for some reason you don't want to make these jars but still want an apothecary jar, we have plenty in our Etsy shoppe. Just click here

Have a great day!

1 comment: