Friday, April 8, 2016

Strawberry Spring Thaw

It's spring break at our house.  The sun is shining, the grass is green, the spring flowers are peeking up and I'm thinking of this long time family favorite.


This is a dessert that my mom has made for years and years.  Usually during the spring when the strawberries are in season.  Why the name "Spring Thaw?"  I don't know but would assume that spring brings about a thaw, at least in the cold, snowy mountains.  This dessert is frosty strawberry goodness.  Do you like my reasoning?


The is an old tried and true recipe from the coveted family dessert binder.  I haven't met a person that loved strawberries, that didn't love this dessert.


My mom's handwriting.  Even though I have most of my recipes online or on the computer I still like to keep the recipes that family members actually hand write.  Even has some strawberry sauce on it just to keep it real.


Strawberry Spring Thaw

Mix together and put in jelly roll pan (or 9X13 pan).
1/2 cup margarine-melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (we use walnuts)

  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.  Cool.

2 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 pt. fresh strawberries, sliced
1 T lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Mix all ingredients (except the whipped cream) in mixer and beat for about 10-15 min.  
Must triple in size.  Fold in whipped cream.

Layer crumbs, then strawberry mixture, then crumbs in a spring form pan.  
Freeze at least overnight.


We normally just use a 9x13 pan but if you decide to use the spring form pan you can create masterpieces like this!








No comments:

Post a Comment